You may have seen the packs of recycled sari and chiffon silk ribbon that I handdye, available in my Etsy shop. They have been extremely popular during the Coronavirus lockdown, to the point that I almost sold out!
Sometimes I am asked how the ribbons can be used. Whilst they can be knitted or crocheted, as they are sold in 10 metre packs, they would only be suitable for very small projects. Take a look at the following ideas for other inspiration!
1. Knitwear/crochet embellishment/fringing – as seen in the Garter Ribbon Shawl knit kit: this kit includes my handdyed supersoft chunky baby alpaca yarn together with co-ordinating handdyed recycled sari or chifofn silk ribbon to weave through as an edging and finish off with tassels as shown.
2. Dreamcatchers – these ribbons make fabulous fringes
3. Textile jewellery – eg wrap bracelets or silk beaded necklaces as shown below
4. Tassels – to make into boho earrings, bag charms, or adding to just about any project!
5. Junk journal embellishments – eg to tie the journal closed
6. Bouquet wrap – as shown above, particularly popular for rustic style weddings
7. Gift wrap ribbon
9. Doll/Toy hair
10. Ribbon flowers – watch Angela Kerr’s tutorial showing how to make beautiful ribbon flowers
12. Garment ties eg corset lacing as done by Dhammit.Tat
14. Button covers – cover existing buttons and glue at the back to get the perfect shade to match your project
15. Wedding invitation trim/bows – co-ordinate with your wedding colours
16. Sewing trim eg on bags, garments
17. Mixed media artwork
20. Hair bows
I hope these ideas have given you some inspiration!